Occupational Therapy and Disability Home Modifications In Brisbane: How Can Occupational Therapist Help You?
Are you looking for a therapist to help you with your home modifications in Brisbane? Here’s how Occupational Therapy Brisbane may help you.
It’s expected up to 1 in 3 adults to have trouble using a feature of their home.
We’d like to share with you how you can create a beautiful, functional and accessible home. Occupational Therapy Brisbane provides home modification services across the Brisbane area.
Overwhelmed By The Prospect Of Home Modifications?
It’s clear there is a lot of information out there from formal standards and guides to the community forum with well meaning solutions, sometimes it’s hard to interpret all this and how this may apply to your situation. To help make a start, consider what are the goals for your home modifications.
How Does Your Home Impact Your Life?
- Does your home help or hinder your independence?
- Is it a threat to your safety?
- Does it support the lifestyle and quality of life you desire?
- Does it support your needs today and in times of increased care, tomorrow?
If you answered yes to any of the above, we encourage you to read on.
With the availability of NDIS Home Modifications and Home Aged Care support, an Occupational Therapist (or OT for short) services are in demand to provide personalised evidence based advice to modify your home so you can live an independent life.
Why You’re Likely To Modify Your Home?
A person may likely consider modifying their home when faced with these common problems:
- An increase in your care needs means that the home is no longer safe and supportive to meet your needs.
- People facing the changes with a degenerative condition want to “future proof their home” or achieve a “forever home” so that it supports independence today and care tomorrow.
- Home modifications can help carers perform their roles efficiently and safely so your risk of injury is reduced.
- Others may want to understand what their options are and are seeking answers to : Could we do this?, Is this an option.
Wherever you’re at, a change in your life may now mean your home is no longer an easy place to be, to live. It may now pose today or tomorrow a threat to your safety, performance, happiness, comfort, your energy, the ease of living at home.
Occupational therapists are equipped to help people improve the fit of their home to their needs today as well as tomorrow.
Here’s How Occupational Therapy Home Modifications In Brisbane May Help You
At Occupational Therapy Brisbane our goal is to deliver valuable information and advice to help solve your home modification requirements so you can have a home to meet your goals.
You might be thinking, doesn’t an architect do this?
Good question, what an OT does, that your architect can’t do, is form a deep understanding of your functional needs, that is, what are your strengths and limitations to perform the life activities in your home. This takes into consideration your health conditions, your muscle strength, cognition, visual perception and acuity to name a few.
Not only that, an Occupational Therapist can develop a clinical opinion of what are your requirements into the future. At Occupational Therapy Brisbane we work with architects to design home modifications solutions.
Home Modifications can provide support for a variety of situations, such as:
- Limited reaching, bending or sitting;
- Changes to color or visual perception
- Difficulties arising from specific conditions or disease symptoms, such as MND, TBI, MS, Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease for example.
Occupational Therapy and Ageing and Disability Home Modifications: What You Can Expect?
Your Occupational Therapist will work with you across the Occupational Therapy evidence based 4 Phases Of The Home Modification Process
- During the first consultation your OT will explore and discover your vision and needs you have about living at home.
- Your OT will assess your current and future requirements including your goals, equipment use and potentially care needs
- How you intend to use your home environment
- Establish an understanding of the technical and structural aspects of the home environment often in consultation with a suitable builder
- Your OT will outline design approaches, as well as prescribe the use of a range of products, finishes, lighting and layouts for example to determine appropriate home modification solutions.
- Work with you and your nominated licensed builder and other team members during the pre modification, construction and post construction phase of work so that the OT recommendations are efficiently implemented
- Our focus is to support the builder/ trades-person should they have technical questions regarding finishes or dimensions related to your home modification recommendations
- You’re now living in your home, we want to make sure that it has fulfilled the promise and purpose that was established at the beginning. Home modifications is a therapeutic solution so we review the modifications after it is completed and used, in short- has it achieved your goals.
Why Work With An Occupational Therapist?
- OT’s are trained to assess and prescribe solutions to support aging-in-place and people living with disabilities.
- OT’s can take the guesswork out of accessibility.
- OT’s are aware how debilitating conditions, chronic disease and aging can affect your ability to live in your home. OT’s will help to ensure home modifications work now and in the future.
Common Occupational Therapy Home Modifications In Brisbane
We can help you remodel any area of your home. Below are listed some of the main types of remodeling and home modifications we can help you with
- Home Accessibility- stairs and lifts
- Kitchen modifications to improve use and access
- Lighting and switch accessibility.
What Are The Cost of Disability Home Modifications?
We’re a registered provider and able to support people who wish to use NIISQ, NDIS, Aged Care At Home, Insurance, Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and Medicare programs as well as privately. Please call us to discuss your needs and we can advise you of a suitable quote.
Contact Us Today
To Discuss Your Home Modification Needs Speak With An Occupational Therapist Today.
Call 1300 783 200.
Or Fill out the Contact Form Below.
Here’s a list of home modifications resources which may be of assistance to you.